Friday, July 20, 2012

My name is not Captain Abhijith

I had just done one contract as a Master when I had to revalidate my license. A few among us were revalidating their license for the third time. There was one master who was revalidating it for the fourth time.

When we were given our certificates after completion of the course, one among us commented on our names not being prefixed with "Captain " ; And all but 2 among us were active sailing Masters. But the names below the two signatures on the certificate were prefixed so. And one among them had definitely not gone to sea for atleast a decade and more.

And then I heard another Master who I sailed under tell someone very categorically that his name be prefixed. Many among us may feel a hollow inside when someone calls us by our name.

I see names so prefixed even before names of those who may never have been in command.  I always wonder if it is correct to do so. Ethically. Technically. Or in any other way. Can someone help me here.

I always thought Captain was a rank i held while in command,but my name still remained what my parents gave me.

Am I getting it all wrong? Taking up a shore position may require me to attach the prefix. Will it be right to do so?

If I had been your Captain, and you happen to meet me while I am not in command, please remember my name is just Abhijith.

No comments: